Join Tiana Gee AKA Chef Tee as she makes the ULTIMATE breakfast sandwich. She stacks scrambled eggs, chicken sausage made from scratch, cheddar cheese and hot pepper jelly between homemade biscuits. For the sausage, Tee takes inspiration from Filipino longanisa, a flavorful sausage often served for breakfast. For extra flaky biscuits don't forget to freeze your butter ahead of time!
For the sausage:
½ lb. ground chicken
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
¼ cup banana ketchup
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, grated
4 sage leaves, finely chopped
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping
1 Tbsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. kosher salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, frozen and cut into small pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, for egg wash
6 large eggs, scrambled
4 slices yellow sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup arugula
Hot pepper jelly
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Make the sausage mix and set in the fridge while prepping other ingredients. Combine all sausage ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined and protein is emulsified. Refrigerate until chilled.
3. Make the biscuit dough. Mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter with your fingers until it resembles small little crumbs. Add in the buttermilk and combine into dough. Once into a dough transfer onto a lightly floured surface to prevent from sticking. Knead slightly until combined. Roll dough out into a 1 in thickness. Fold the dough a few times to create layers. And roll into 1 in thick rectangle shape. Trim off the edges and cut into 6 biscuits square shaped. Place onto a baking tray, brush with egg wash and bake for 10 minutes. Brush with butter. Top with flaky maldon salt. Back into oven for about 4 minutes. Drizzle with honey.
4. In a bowl whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper. Form 4 sausage patties using oiled hands. Bring a pan to medium high heat and add butter. Add eggs into pan and scramble. Add chives. Add cheese to the top. Cook sausage in a little bit of oil until browned on both sides.
5. Once biscuits are done. Split them in half. Spread with pepper jelly then add sausage, egg with cheese and arugula.
00:38 Make chicken sausage mixture
02:28 Make biscuits
06:16 Bake biscuits at 450° for 10 minutes
06:21 Brush biscuits with butter, sprinkle with maldon salt
06:33 Bake again for 4 minutes, drizzle with honey
07:04 Beat eggs, chop chives
07:47 Form patties
08:25 Cook sausage
09:10 Scramble eggs
10:10 Assemble sandos
Want Bon Appétit shirts, hats and more? shop.bonappetit.com/?
Still haven’t subscribed to Bon Appétit on ISpost? ►► bit.ly/1TLeyPn
Want more Bon Appétit in your life? Subscribe to the magazine! bit.ly/313UWRu
ABOUT BON APPÉTIT
Bon Appétit is a highly opinionated food brand that wants everyone to love cooking and eating as much as we do. We believe in seasonal produce, properly salted pasta water, and developing recipes that anyone can make at home.
Tiana Makes the Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich | From the Home Kitchen | Bon Appétit